Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Alphabet Rocks

I'm always looking for creative ways
to teach my preschool kiddos what
they need to know for kindergarten
without actually sitting down and "teaching".

What better way for a little boy to learn
his letters than playing with rocks?

I printed off a fun alphabet and
picked up two sacks of rocks at Hobby Lobby.


I trimmed around the letters and figured out
which letters to put on white rocks and which
letters to put on black rocks.  For the most part,
I put light backgrounds on the black rocks and 
dark backgrounds on the white rocks.


I put a decent coat of Mod Podge on the rock.


 Then I smoothed the letter onto the Mod Podged rock,
brushed another coat of Mod Podge on and let it dry.
When they were all dry, I put another decent coat of
Mod Podge on, let them dry again and then
sprayed them with a clear sealer.


Sing with me!  A B C D E F G....

I picked up the little wooden tray at a thrift store.
To pretty it up a little bit, I cut a plastic placemat
from Target (that I got on clearance) and stuck
it in the bottom.  I didn't glue it down so I
can switch it out when I get tired of orange and
pink polka dots.  But can one ever really get
tired of orange and pink polka dots?

3 comments:

  1. What a great idea!! Cami would love some rocks like that!! Very creative you are!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cute!! My only problem would be Westynn would throw the rocks...maybe save this project till he's a little older, LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this! I am doing this asap. I saw some rocks at Dollar Tree. Hope they are big enough. Where did you find the fun alphabet?

    ReplyDelete