Saturday, February 5, 2011

Winter Crayons

My kids love getting a brand new box of crayons.  I do too.  But I always feel a little guilty for throwing away the old crayons that have a lot of color left in them, but they're just not fresh anymore.  I know just how they feel.  So I was so excited to pick up a Christmas cake pan in January (translation: cheap!) and recycle our tired, old crayons into fresh, new winter shaped colors.  It's so easy!


First we peeled the paper off the crayons.  Then we sprayed our Christmas pan with a little Pam, broke the crayons into smaller pieces and filled the shapes with the broken pieces.  The fuller, the better.  We mixed our colors a little bit for the fun of it.


Bake at 275* for 3-5 minutes and then CAREFULLY remove from the oven to cool.  Let them cool completely and then they'll pop right out of the pan.


Make sure EVERYONE in your household knows these pretty things are crayons (i.e. not edible).  My always-hungry teenage son almost ate one.  Even after he found out they were crayons, he was tempted.
I picked up a hearts pan last week and can't wait to make some Valentine crayons next.

1 comment: