Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Dresser Treasure

I found another dresser to set beside
my china cabinet for extra storage.
Yes, I already had two dressers, 
but one was too big and bulky.

I'll be painting it to put in Hope's room.

Here's the "new" dresser I bought yesterday.
Someone had started to strip it, so I
picked up some dark walnut stain and
slapped some on the top, sides and drawers.

What do you think?  See the basket
hiding underneath?  I found two of those
at Tuesday Morning and they make up
for the storage I lost when I moved the
big dresser to Hope's room.

The original knobs (there was one missing)
looked like this:
I love them because I had knobs just like this 
on my dresser I had growing up.  I will definitely 
find a use for these.  But since there was one 
missing, I picked up some knobs at Tuesday Morning
for a dollar a piece and here they are:


Now for the good stuff.  Inside the top left drawer,
I found a letter and a telegram dated 1956.
A family was sending a woman from their family
from a hospital in California to friends or family in
Concordia.  They were arranging for family friends 
to pick her up from the Salina airport and tend to
her until the couple from Concordia (the husband
was a doctor) could retrieve her the next weekend.

It sounded like she had lived through a tragedy
and had been recovering in a hospital.  They 
talked of her no longer needing to take tablets
and not seeming as lonely as when she first
entered the hospital.  Makes me wonder about
her story.  I hope she went on to live a blessed life.

2 comments:

  1. Nice dresser! That's really something about the letter and telegram. It does make you wonder about how their life turned out. I also like that chicken-wire basket! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE the dresser!! Looks perfect for a little girl! I think there is something special about making old things useful again. .great work!!

    ReplyDelete